COLLEGE PLANNING RESOURCES
GENERAL COLLEGE PLANNING
- Great sites for school data searches: CollegeData.com, Big Future (Collegeboard), College Navigator
- The College Essay Guy (CEG) – offers an incredible amount of free resources starting with advice on how to choose a college and CEG_-_How_To_Create_A_Great_College_List_08.07.20-min.pdf. Check out the very comprehensive College Application Hub
- Schoolbuff.com – Steven Antonoff – well known author of the book The College Match shares excellent free information on his website including worksheets to help students assess their interests and identify schools that will be good matches.
- Corsava – free online tool for students to sort and rate preferences in a way that will help you figure out what you want (and don’t want) from your college experience.
- College Transitions- Dataverse college data lists – Aggregated lists for almost any college related data, i.e. admissions stats, application deadlines, direct admissions programs, colleges with generous scholarships, etc.
- Need based and merit aid aid data by school– compiled by BigJ Consulting.
- WUE – Western Undergraduate Exchange – Through WUE, eligible students can choose from hundreds of undergraduate programs outside their home state, and pay no more than 150 percent of that institution’s resident tuition rate
- California Colleges.edu – state of California’s official college and career planning platform
- icangotocollege.com – CA community college information
- CA Career Zone – Assessments to help students find what they might be interested in
- YouScience – detailed personal assessment involving brain games and surveys to help you match what you’re good at (aptitudes) and what you like to do (interests) with in-demand careers where you’ll have a competitive advantage. Detailed report produced. There is a $29 fee for this but it can be very insightful.
- Common App, UC Application and Cal State Application
- Common App Guide – Collegewise Common App Guide – detailed guide explaining how to complete the common app
- CEG’s College Application Hub – help with every aspect of the college application process, including UC specific guidance (search the site)
- Tips for writing essays – Tips shared from the owner of Prompt re: Essay writing advice
- UC Guide for First Year Admission – powerpoint presentation Sept 2021 with helpful links
- Guide for UC Admissions – designed for counselors, but extremely detailed guidance
- Advice from Prompt Essay Service- answering the UC Personal Insight Questions (PIQ’s)
FINANCIAL AID and SCHOLARSHIPS
- YRTTF OC Powerpoint Presentation on Financial Aid financial aid
- Studentaid.gov – FAFSA application and all aspects of federal financial aid covered
- Creating the FAFSA ID
- CA Student Aid Commission – detailed info on CA state aid programs- Cal Grants, Middle Class Scholarship
- Cash for College – Additional Resources
- Finaid.org – education regarding financial aid and various calculators for projecting loan payments,
- Student Loan repayment simulator – https://studentaid.gov/loan-simulator/
- FAFSA4caster- estimate financial aid https://fafsa.ed.gov/spa/fafsa4c/
- CA Blue and Gold Scholarship – free tuition at UC’s for students with family income less than 80K
- EFC Explained by George Schneiderman– very detailed explanation of the FAFSA calculation/the EFC and a detailed spreadsheet to estimate EFC
- Scholarships Searches – detailed list of scholarship search sites and strategies
- Collegecampaign.org – interactive map showing CA Campus locations with resources/support for undocumented students
- UC Guide for Latinx resources at UC Campuses
- LAIST Article -Resources for Special Situations – support resources for college seeking students with backgrounds including foster, first gen, formerly incarcerated, etc.